The Hilltop Inn was built in 1839 and served as a stagecoach stop for weary travelers and business men on the route from the Wabash River (New Harmony Area) to the banks of the Ohio River. The inn consisted of a saloon and a dining room on one side and a general store/feed store on the other. Sleeping rooms were located on the second and third floors. The main entrance (Now sealed up) was located in the center of the building, opening onto a stairwell that allowed people to enter the building without entering the saloon or the general store.
The inn was purchased by the Marx family in 1905 and became known as "Geo. J. Marx Saloon" and later as "Marx Tavern". In the 1950's George began leasing out the bar and restaurant to other individuals. When Willard Robinson leased the business, a name change occurred and became "Robby's Hilltop Inn". Don and Lanette Snyder purchased the restaurant in 1999.
Don and Lanette Snyder, Owners of The Hilltop Inn
Since Don and Lanette Snyder took over the Hilltop Inn, they have received several awards and some notoriety for serving several dishes including great Fried Chicken, Icelandic Cod and Brain Sandwiches. Here are some of the awards and notoriety that they've received:
- January 1, 2004 - We are on the front page of the Chicago Tribune.
Article: Brain sandwich still heads some menus
- January 2, 2004 - We are interviewed by WLW in Cincinnati.
- January 7, 2004 - We are interviewed by the “Bob and Tom” radio program.
- January 12, 2004 - The United Press sends a reporter for a story that appears in most major papers across the country.
- March 26, 2004 - Asahi TV in Tokyo Japan sends a news crew for a story.
- April 23, 2006 - Alton Brown shows up to film for his “Feasting on Asphalt” series that still airs occasionally on the Food Channel.
Video: Hilltop Inn Brain Sandwich
- WTVW-TV (CH 7) Tapes a weekly 5 minute “Lunch with the Coach” program at the Hilltop, which features a Brain Sandwich.
- Voted “Manliest Restaurant in America” 2009 by Asylum Magazine.
Article: The Manliest Restaurant in America Has Been Found!
- Evansville Courier press articles and videos:
Article: Hilltop Inn closes for maintenance, interior renovations
Article: Dining Club Review for Hill Top Inn
Article: Hilltop Inn uses brains to win brawny distinction
Video: Frying up a batch of chicken livers
Video: Hilltop Inn fried brain sandwich